This message is from: GAIL RUSSELL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I think longeing is a good training
>method for certain purposes once the horses are fit, but in my opinion it's
>not the best and safest way to get the horse back in shape. I also belive
>that the best way to strenghten the horse's body is to ride or drive long
>trails at slow gaits. If I have understod things correctly, most endurance
>riders start to get their horses in shape for their hard sport that way.
>
>Of course there ARE cases when the only option is to longe an unfit horse.

Problem with long rides and drives is having the place to do it.  I've
looked into treadmills, walking up and down a *small* hill in the pasture,
etc.  Even tried to find a water treadmill once - to no avail.  What about
pulling heavyish things in a pasture.  Like dragging variable size logs
(working up to bigger ones, but not so big that the horse starts wanting to
just throww himself into the collar to get the load moving.  Sort of
isometrics for the horse?
Gail Russell
Forestville CA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]