This message is from: Julia Will <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

We keep two stallions, ages 4 and 11, and over the past 8 years have had
more than a few young stallions pass through here, and a lot of stud colts
born.  As far as temperment goes, either of our stallions can be a
challenge to handle in a breeding situation.  Erlend especially is
difficult to "lead" up to a mare, and will drag the handler, given half a
chance.  (Much to my embarassment!)    He is full of pride and spirit...is
beautiful to behold.  Dutch, being younger, is a bit more cautious when
approaching a mare, and not so hard to hold.  However, both of these
stallions would NEVER strike, bite or kick at the handler.  Neither of them
will pin their ears at a person.   Both are very manageable at a show or at
home, tho we have had our moments with the younger one as a two year old.

There are so many things to consider when deciding to geld or not, but to
me, temperament is critical.  I have raised a few eyebrows for gelding two
grey stallions; in one case, the horse (a four year old we had purchased in
a herd of 10 horses, 4 of whom were 2 to 4 year old stallions) came at me
with teeth bared in the pasture, in the other case the temperament was
excellent, conformation very good (won Overall Grand Champion at Woodstock
at age 2) but he was not better than his sire, nor did I feel the bloodline
was in short supply.  A young stallion prospect should have a sparkle,
class, a "presence" which shines out in a pasture full of weanlings or
yearlings.  This of course on top of great conformation, movement and
desirable bloodlines.   In my opinion, if a colt doesn't start out with
that "look", not likely that it will come along later, so you might as well
geld him.

We have a combination of standing stalls, box stalls and run-ins, and each
has a place.  Our standing stall horses are on turnout from 7:30 am to 4:30
pm, and we frequently rotate which horses are kept where.  Usually the
horses that are being used the most are in the standing stalls.  Unlike
Carol, we have solid sides with partitions that prevent the horses from
bothering the horse next to them.  This prevents any kicking, biting, etc.
(Not all my Fjords are angels.....especially when food is being served!)