This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello all again!

OK, more info on manes coming up!!

It was very common to name horses with Faxi at the end of the name....for
instance, Hrimfaxi is the name of the horse who draws the chariot of the night
goddess, Nott, while Skinfaxi is the name of the horse who draws the chariot
of the day god, Day.  These names mean, respectively, shiny-maned and rimy-
maned.  There are numerous other examples, but the point of this is the fact
the manes were very important to the Norse on a spiritual level, as I will
continue to explain.  By the way, there are various texts on this subject, but
I am currently using Jakob Grimm's Teutonic Mythology, Volume 2, 1883 due to
Grimm's extensive study and knowledge of Northern lore.

On pages 657-8, he goes on to speak about horses specifically dedicated to the
deities, especially Freyr, the Vanir god of fertility:

"Such breed of pure and dedicated horses was destined for holy uses,
especially sacrifice, divination, and the periodical tours of deities in their
cars (carts).  Their manes were carefully cultivated, groomed and decorated,
as the name Faxi indicates; probably gold, silver and ribbons were twined or
plaited into locks;........because a mane does radiate, and light sends out
beams in the manner of hair."

Note, page 658

"Single hairs out of the mane or tail of a sacred horse were treasured up."

It should be noted this obsession with hair is not uncommon within the Norse
overview.  The majority of the goddesses are described as having golden
colored hair, hair like corn, shimmering locks, etc.  Anything to do with
gold, corn, light, radiance would have been sacred for many reasons although
the most obvious would be wealth.

Anyway, the ONLY reference I have found concerning horses in battle is a
description of warriors noticing their steeds behavior as the troops TRAVELED
to the conflict.  If the horses were neighing, luck was with them.  But, if
the horses were "withholding the cheerful spirit-stirring strain (neighing)",
defeat was a given.

Anyway, I hope I have not bored all of you to sleep, but I felt compelled to
attempt to shed some light on the subject.

Lynda