This message is from: Anneli Sundkvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Frank Wijgers wrote:

>> I'm just curius, why the manes of a Norwegian Fjord ar always cut  till
about 10 cm. It looks good, but it is not natural. For me this means the
length MUST have a function in wild life nature - most obvious to keep them
warm and as a defense to flees in the summer
time.>>

Actually truly WILD horses (not feral) have short manes. The herd-members
trim each others manes. It's probably done to make it easier for the horses
to spot an enemy in the open landscape that are their natural home. The
only wild breed left are the Przewalskii horse aka the Mongolian wild
horse. This breed was extinct in the wild for some decades, but several
horses were kept in zoo:s and bred there. Some years ago a herd was brought
back to Mongolia and let free. I don't know what has happend to them.

Another breed that is belived to be a wild species was the Tarpan, that
lived in Russia and Poland and was extinct in the 19th century. I think
that these horses had trimmed manes too. So actually, a short mane is very
'natural'.

>>But I heard that the Vikings already did this, so there must be a very
good reason for not leaving them at their natural lenght, except for just
looking nice.>>

Pictures from the Viking Period show horses with long as well as short
manes. I belive that horse's hair has long been used for different
purposes, like making strings for bows, matresses, halters/bridles etc.
Somebody has suggested that riders who used the bow from horse back cut the
manes to prevent it from being a problem when they handled the bow. This
sounds reasonable to me and would explain why the horses of ancient
horsemen like the Schytians according to pictures often had short manes.

So, why do we cut the manes today? I guess it's tradition. Every breed have
their own 'hair style'. Can you imagine an arab with cut mane? Or a
warmblood with long mane like an andalusian? Or an andalusian with mane
like a fjord?

Here in Sweden many horses are now grazing in what used to be field used
for agricultural purposes and these fields tend to be full with burdocks.
Many times when I've brought my horses in for the night and found them
COVERED with burdocks, I've thanked my lucky star for their hair style.
Tail and forelock is completly enough when it comes to burdock-picking.:o)
Regards from Anneli in Uppsala, Sweden