This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arthur  Rivoire)

Hi Everybody, from Carol Rivoire at Beaver Dam Farm in Nova Scotia -

The other day, I got out the four studbooks I have from the Fjordhestlag in
Norway.  One of them was 1981, the year Gjest was approved and did his
famous trotting test.  I wanted to look through the books and see what the
various times were of the stallions that did the test each year.

Well . . .!!!  I came upon Gjest's page, and you can imagine my shock . . .
horror . . . cringing embarrassment when I saw Gjest's time for the
kilometre recorded at 2.40, not the famous 2.12.  "How could this be?", I
asked myself.  I'd been told  about Gjest's time from Norwegian Fjord
people as well as from B. J. van Bon, Chief Inspector of the Dutch
Studbook.  Van Bon had also recorded the fact in detail in the two editions
of his authoritative book.  Editions ten years apart.  So, anyway, in
panic, I put in a call to Van Bon to straighten this out.  I said, "ARE YOU
ABSOLUTELY SURE THIS IS CORRECT?"  He said, "Absolutely!  I saw him myself.
 I was there."  Then I told him about the Norwegian Stud Book, and Van Bon
said that there are inaccuricies in those books.  He also said,( and this
is useful for us), that the stallions do more than one trotting test for
the Approvals.  Sometimes they do three or four, and maybe they didn't
record Gjest's fastest time, which seems odd to me since it was a record
for the breed.

Anyway, for those who are interested, here are some of the times -

1981 - REI HALSNAES, 2.59, BESTMIN, 2.50, HOVDAREN, 2.45, NORDAL, 2.51,
PEDRO, 2.46, HILDRING, 2.50, SOLVGRAEN, 3.15, BRYNTE, 2.57, DRAGULV, 2.46,
ERNARSON, 3.11, FJELLVIND, 2.58, STALGRAEN, 3.26, LJOSEN, 3.03, SOLAR,
3.09, SOLVAR, 2.46, TRAJAN, 2.31.

1984 - KARIBU, no time given -, BRONSE, 2.35, PLUTONIKK, 2.45, BRUSVEIN,
2.52, REIDMANN, 2.55, BRYNJO, 2.57, HALLING-BJORN, 3.09, LURINGEN, 3.19,
EGGEPRINS, 3.01, RIVALEN, 2.49, GRA-JARL, 3.07, HELGAR-JARL, 3.07, JUBALO,
3.18, SILKEKONGEN, 3.23.

Well, that's enough, you get the idea.

Talking with Van Bon, he stressed more than once that it was not how fast a
horse could trot, but how correctly.  He felt that some of the Fjord
breeding countries could be in danger of ignoring the quality of the trot
in Fjords.  He said he'd seen some deterioration in the quality of the trot
in Europe since the seventies when, he said, there were a lot more really
good moving horses than there are now.

He stressed that the Fjord is, above all, a driving horse, and that he MUST
have an EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD TROT.  And that means a trot with a big, big,
far-reaching stride.  He reminded me that in Holland they do show classes
to determine which horses have the BEST TROT. In fact, I've seen these
during my trips to Holland.  There may be twenty or thirty horses
partipating.  They'll be in a huge oval ring with riders, and the riders
push them into big, extended trots, and they fly around and around that
ring until the placings are determined.  It's interesting!

Regards,  Carol Rivoire
Carol and Arthur Rivoire
Beaver Dam Farm Fjords II
R.R. 7 Pomquet