This message is from: "Starfire Farm, L.L.C." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

It's interesting to listen to people's experiences with tripping.
When I start colts, fjords as well as other breeds, I am very aware that
they have not yet learned to balance with someone on their backs, so I
ride very upright with my upper body posture to help keep my balance
closer to their rear ends.  I start colts using a "natural horsemanship"
method, hence, use a long rein with "dressage style" contact only
rarely.  I have experienced these colts tripping, but usually only if
they are bored.  I will ride them out in the pasture where they have to
pay attention to where they are going.  Also, in the pasture, they have
more room to balance themselves, not being confined to the smaller
dimensions of an arena.  If they start to go down, I allow them their
heads, and they usually catch themselves before going all the way down
(so far, anyway, knock on wood! :-). After the colts are moving forward
well, in a good, steady rhythm, I start to introduce them to half-halts,
which can help rebalance them (with light but steady contact as Jean
Gayle suggested.)

Something that I have noticed about fjords is that, while doing "ground
work" with them in a halter, they do tend to step on their own feet a
lot, until they learn where to put their feet when asking them to bend
and double back on a leadline.  It's almost like they don't know how to
take their feet with them when they move.  Once they figure it out,
there are no problems.

If a more experienced horse starts tripping, I check the position of the
rider first.  If the rider is leaning on the horse's forehand, the horse
is carrying that extra weight on his front legs.  Second, I check the
horse's impulsion.  If he is not moving with purpose and impulsion,
there is a greater tendency to trip.  If making adjustments for the
first two reasons doesn't take care of the tripping, I look for a
medical reason.

On a trail ride, I have noticed that some horses, fjords especially,
have a tendency to trip if they are not the lead horse on a trail.  To
check the tripping horse out, I move him to the front, where he usually
picks up interest in what is in front of him, and starts picking up his
feet!

Beth
Starfire Farm in sunny,gorgeous today, Colorado.