This message is from: Paula Steinmetz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:12:08 -0800
From: "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Choppy trot

This message is from: "Jean Gayle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  I have one problem with it and that is that my new horse has =
"dead" sides.  It will take a bit of work to get him to feel the leg.  =
Jean

Jean-
Jane Savoie had an excellent article in Dressage Today (May 1998) for getting
the
horse "thinking forward" that is, responding to the leg (and seat, voice and
whip)
with a light touch, even if the horse has been "dead to the leg" for a long
time. If
you send me a SASE, I will send  you (and anyone else with this problem) a copy
of
the article.  I wonder if the tripping and lack of response to the leg - driving
aids- aren't related (?). A horse that isn't "in front of the leg" and working
from
back to front, is going to be on the forehand (where the majority of the weight
for
our guys is) and prone to tripping. I am thinking out loud here, but once mine
was
responding to a light leg aid, the tripping (except for the inattentive
moments!)
has ceased to be a problem. After putting Jane's lesson into practice, his
progress
(and mine as rider) increased dramatically. He went from Intro level (no
canter) to
second level work since May last year!  Inattentiveness can be dealt with with a
simple half-halt which she also explains in  this article, but it means "riding"
(read - rider attention on the horse) all the time. My address is
Paula Steinmetz
W166 N8596 Theodore Avenue
Menomonee Falls, WI 53051