This message is from: "duane trupiano" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello Lynda from Texas.  Where in Michigan are you moving to?  Bears are
only in the Upper Penninsula and a few in the Northernmost lower P. I've
never heard of trouble between the bears and horses.  The only guard
dogs that I've worked on are Great Pyreenes and Antollian (sp)
shepherds.  They have been used around here (SW lower Mi) for guarding
sheep.  They have been basically scared of people and not handled at
all.  I would question taking over the care of a farm guard dog unless
horses are what it has been guarding.... but most horses can take care
of themselves quite handily.  We have coyotes in our back horse pasture
( thanks to the D.N.R) and they never get near the horses. You may not
be able to get near the dog because you're a stranger .  We are having
problems with tuberculosis in our deer herd in the upper Eastern portion
of the state.  It's getting into the cattle because of the deer coming
in to feed with the cows.  If you're getting cattle when you come here
you might need to find out more about this.  Nancy Trupiano from
Concord, MI