This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 1/25/99 8:14:53 Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<< My young stallion
 Penfrydd's Raynor cannot handle alfalfa in hay form. When his feed becomes
 too rich he develops 'by-passing' (my term) In essence his stool is normal
 and well formed but when he passes gas and after a bowel movement he passes
 fluid which makes his back end look like he has diarrhea (sorry to those of
 you who havn't had breakfast). >>

You know, I think Juniper is the same way.  When we moved back to Oregon, we
were at first in a boarding barn situation.  The only turn out was the indoor
arena.  A horse had been fed alfalfa in the arena before her turnout.  She
grabbed up the scraps.  I thought just a few alfalfa scraps once won't kill
her.  She colicked big that night.  The only time she's ever colicked.  The
trainer asked me a week or two later if we could put Juniper on some alfalfa
(we were working her pretty hard, and she was getting in really good shape,
but dropping some weight).  I was chagrined and alarmed.  No alfalfa for my
fjords.  They do just fine on their timothy or orchard grass.

Pamela