This message is from: Ursula Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Just another thought on feeding. We had our ferrier in to trim feet the
other day and as usual had some real interesting discussions. One was
regarding feeding and feet, of course. He is of the opinion that a horses'
'target organ' is his feet. He says that improper feeding results in many
problems of the feet. Of course we all know that if we feed too much there
is the chance of founder but he also said that a lot of crookedness in young
horses is a result of too rich feed.
This made me think of a friend of mine who is super dilligent about
feeding...she reads and researches and suppliments and truly tries to 'do it
right'. Unfortunately, she overfeeds and seeks her info from other breeds.
In her efforts to be a good caretaker she has blown the feet off one of her
young foals. He now requires special attention on trimming and great care
has to be taken that his diet is minimal.She has learned the hard way.

I have an interesting case right here on our place. My young stallion
Penfrydd's Raynor cannot handle alfalfa in hay form. When his feed becomes
too rich he develops 'by-passing' (my term) In essence his stool is normal
and well formed but when he passes gas and after a bowel movement he passes
fluid which makes his back end look like he has diarrhea (sorry to those of
you who havn't had breakfast). The vet feels he is unable to digest the rich
feed properly and the unused liquid just by-passes. He is never sick with
this and does not seem uncomfortable but it sure is a mess keeping his body
clean. We now just feed him straight grass (limited availability here) and
some alfalfa cubes which he tolerates(only about 5# per feeding). The other
horses get a good quality first cut alfalfa/grass hay. We feed a mixed grain
ration/canola/molasses when horses are training and to lactating mares. Also
to breeding stallions.
Like people, individual horses metabolize their food differently so like
Carol said...check them individually and make adjustments accordingly.
I know that in the summer, they seem to be able to live on a pasture that
appears to be so mowed down and lacking, that one wonders if it's still
healthy, yet the Fjords are sleek and FAT...go figure....they eat thistles
and many weeds  normally left by most other horses.
Interesting comment about salt...Brian. Thanks again for your valiant
efforts to educate...Since you're on the education committee, may I suggest
you compile some of those articles and have them available as handouts or
enclosures for Mike to send out to new Fjord owners. A brilliant idea, me
thinks!!!!!

ta ta for now
Ursula
|       Ursula & Brian Jensen from Trinity Fjords       |