This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jean gayle)

>Hi Jean from Alaska. enjoyed your report and twinkle toes at it again,  Re
horses damaging their lungs in below zero.  Don't you realize many dressage
ladies and gentlemen keep their mounts in tidy stalls with turn out paddocks
for an hour or so aday.  That they are washed after every ride where they
"perspire," that a hired helper cleans stalls at least five times a day,
that they are thoroughly { recognize that word carefully) brushed and combed
from hoof to tail to nose every day at least twice if ridden, are
continuously blanketed and clipped in french poodle designs and suffer only
the most expensive tack available and in vogue at the time.  I have been
there, but must have forgotten until a dressage lady came to view my gelding
and was offended by the mud and winter coat.  Oh gosh!  A "field" horse.

Those stalled horses in locked up barns who usually suffer bronchial or lung
problems would succomb after a hack on a zero temp day.  Except in New York
in Central Park because thats so romantic.  Griffeth Park in Los Angeles
also but zero weather is a miracle there.    Those articles are by experts
in their own worlds.  Jean in Aberdeen

>Recently I read an article in DRESSAGE TODAY about caring for your horse in
>winter and it said something like not riding them when it was below zero:
>"Most cold weather riders would agree that hen the mercury drops below zero
>you shouldn't ride. "when it gets that cold you risk damaging yur horses
>lullngs permanently" [end quote
> I was surprized that anyone could still believe this!  Obviously my Fjords
>would have "frosted their lungs" may years ago if that was true! Maybe they

Jean Gayle  --- A Subscriber at Techline