This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (BRIAN C JACOBSEN)

Ingrid,  you mentioned that your new veterinarian "... has a very good
touch and attitude with the horses. He has yet to sedate the animals for
any procedure...floating teeth, cleaning sheaths on the geldings,
palpating the mares...etc."

That is neat when you find a veterinarian who is good with horses and
whom the horses also like.  I just wanted to mention one thing, though.
In regards to not having to sedate the horses for sheath cleaning or
teeth floating, I am not sure that is the best thing.

Let me tell you how I was as a new veterinarian as it relates to the
above subjects.  I am in general a quiet and gentle person, and most
horses respond very favorably to me.  I rarely sedated horses to float
their teeth, because with patience, I would get the job done
satisfactorily.  At least I thought it was satisfactorily.  Another
reason I avoided the sedatives was to try to keep costs down for the
clients.   And I thought I was pretty good because I could accomplish
without sedatives what many veterinarians could only do by using
sedatives.  I have come to realize, though, that I, and almost any
veterinarian can do a better job by sedating the horses slightly.  This
is because the horses are not moving their heads around as much, and not
trying as hard to chew on the float while I am trying to use it.  And, if
I can say this without any offense, many clients do not know how to hold
their horses well for a procedure like this, and if the horses are
sedated just a little, then holding the horses still is a little easier.
Now there are a few horses who hold still and cooperate well, and
sedatives really may not be necessary.  Horses like this though, even
Fjords, are few and far between.  And, when I sit down and put it on
paper, the charges for the clients come out about the same either way;
Either I did not charge for a sedative but took substantially longer, or
I did use a sedative and did the job quicker and more thoroughly.  So to
me, the owners and the horses come out ahead if I sedate the horses most
of the time.

Regarding cleaning sheaths, I also feel I can do a much better job with a
sedative.  Again, I know some horses that are just so tolerant that they
would stand still and cooperate even without being sedated.  But most
geldings are just not that way (can I have an amen on that?).  We "cheat"
when we clean the male reproductive parts by using a sedative that not
only relaxes the horse, but also specifically relaxes those parts, making
it harder for the horse to "hide" them.  (I'm being tactful for the
benefit of the children on the list.)  Sometimes the sedative doesn't
work as well on a certain horse, and I know from experience that even
though all the same parts are reachable, it is harder to get to them and
do a thorough job.

As with all my postings, this was meant for everyone, not just the one to
whom I am replying.  Ingrid, this is in no way a criticism of your
veterinarian or saying he isn't doing a good job.  Your horses may be
that good that they just stand stock still.  Or your new vet may have a
Crocodile Dundee type mesmerizing effect on them  : ).  Really what I am
trying to let people know is:  1.  Most veterinarians can do a better job
for you and your horses on procedures like these if they sedate them
slightly, and 2.  The reason they may be hesitant to sedate them is they
are trying to save you money.  As I said above, though, I really don't
believe it saves you money.  Or, if it does, that means the veterinarian
is cheating her/himself because he's charging you for the same amount of
time he charges with a horse that is sedated, but he's taking longer with
yours that is not.  May seem good for you in the short run; You get away
being charged less.  But it will come back upon you at some point in the
form of higher fees or losing a good veterinarian that went out of
business, etc.

Brian Jacobsen, DVM
Salisbury, North Carolina

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]