This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi To Peg and Jean.

Since you both are prodding me :-)  Here's a report on SAD in Fairbanks!:
I have several friends who seem to be affected.  I myself deal with the
darkness by keeping the house well lit, ie. all of the lights on, bright!
It helps that I am not working now and get outside every day in the
daylight hours, short as they are.  I actually think Fairbanks is better
off than Anchorage or even Seattle, as we have so much clear "sunny"
weather in the winter, and even the nights can be bright with moonlight and
even the Aurora reflecting on the snow.  My house is situated on a hill,
and the picture window in the living room faces souith and gets flooded
with the horizontal sunlight for 2-3 hours a day, even in the shortest days
(The sun rises and sets in the south.)  Anchorage is much more overcast and
cloudy and obviously Seattle also.  (How many days/year of sun do you get
in the Western Washington area?
Having said that, yes SAD is a problem for a lot of people here.  And
lighting is a solution.  Also a good trip to  Mexico, Hawaii , etc.  sure
helps about January! The schools have a long Christmas vacation and many
families head south over the holidays.

It seems that St. John's Wort herb really does help some people. too. 

Since I retired 12 years ago and got my Fjords I seem to have more energy
and wake up earlier in the morning eager to  feed them and see them and I
do have the outdoor activity  in the middle of the day.  This year I joined
the Fairbanks Athletic club, which is quite large with an olympic size
swimming pool, and I think a good proportion of Fairbanks people exercise
there!  The Military bases have their own big fitness centers, and Tanning
beds are a big thing up here.  I don't believe in tanning myself, but a lot
of people find it really helps them deal with the long dark winters (And
gets them tan to go to Mexico or Hawaii)

There are certainly a lot more incidents of spousal abuse in the winter,
and drinking is a problem. (Alaska has the highest per capita consumption
of Alcohol in the country!)  One of the big segments of the population here
that have Depression problems is of course  the Miltary wives.

Once we get through January, (If we can make it through December !! what's
the rest of that song?)  the winter outdoor activities take over with Dog
sled races, skiiing, snow mobiling etc. March is the most GLORIOUS month
here, sunny and clear, beautiful snow, warm enough to enjoy it, and I often
get a tan in March (on my face and hands)

Back to the Fjords (have I been off topic?)  My wonderful fuzzy fjord
friends keep me amused even during the coldest days as I can watch them
from my picture window (the corral is only 100 feet away) as they play and
run and buck and interact.  I have learned so much about horse behavior
from just watching.  As a retired wildlife biologist, it has become a passion!

Jean in Fairbanks, Alaska, where I had moose in the yard and hay barn today
and my poor old dog got trampled! (She's going to be OK, just very sore and
stiff for a while.)

I'm also a psychotherapist, but in response to your question to Jean Ernest
about darkness and depression, I'm stepping "out of the closet'" and
revealing my profession in front of God and everybody.  [Sorry, sometimes I
get a little dramatic...]
>
>Anyhow, our friends in Anchorage, who are health professionals also, tell
us that depression, especially Seasonal Affective Disorder, is a widespread
problem.  I know that one of the ways they deal with it is <SNIP> I'll be
interested in Jean Ernest's response.  Cheers, Peg [Blackstone] Knutsen  
>
>
******************************************************************
Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to