This message is from: Doug Knutsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi to Jean Gayle -

Thanks again for your book, I'm saving it for after-Christmas reading!  I'm 
glad you enjoyed mine [Things They Never Told Me in Therapy School].  I'm not 
sure whether folks on the Digest know that I'm also a psychotherapist, but in 
response to your question to Jean Ernest about darkness and depression, I'm 
stepping "out of the closet'" and revealing my profession in front of God and 
everybody.  [Sorry, sometimes I get a little dramatic...]

Anyhow, our friends in Anchorage, who are health professionals also, tell us 
that depression, especially Seasonal Affective Disorder, is a widespread 
problem.  I know that one of the ways they deal with it is to have the largest 
video stores I've ever seen!  They also use the high-intensity "SAD" light 
therapy.  I'm convinced that a number of my clients here in the Seattle area 
suffer from it, and my hunch is that it's worse for folks of Scandinavian and 
other northern European descent.  [Aha!  Now I may be able to understand Ingmar 
Bergman's films...]

For those who aren't familiar with SAD, the individual experiencing it shows 
many of the usual clinical signs of depression [fatigue, crabbiness, tension, 
loss of libido, anxiety, appetite changes, anhedonia {loss of ability to enjoy 
life}, pessimism, etc].  In addition he or she has "hybernation" type symptoms 
such as weight gain, need for more sleep, loss of interest in life, and general 
trouble getting things done.

So, noticing these characteristics [usually in one's spouse], may not indicate 
laziness, feeling sorry for one's self, or general lack of character.  They 
could be signs of depression.  Depression is a real, biological condition, and 
is highly treatable by a number of methods.  If concerned, consult your Doc.  
One treatment is to move to a sunnier climate at a lower latitude....  

Well Jean, I seem to have gone on and on, but this is not unusual for me.  I'll 
be interested in Jean Ernest's response.  Cheers, Peg [Blackstone] Knutsen

Reply via email to