This message is from: "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Bill Morong wrote: "...We could learn a lot by investigating other
traditions of harness...."

Living near Decorah, Iowa, a hotbed of Norwegian customs and traditions
(including the curious expletive "uff da!"), I am also curious about
Norwegian harness and carts. I think it would be a lot of fun to drive our
Fjords with traditional harness and cart in the yearly Nordic Fest and other
local ethnic festivals and parades.

The gentleman from whom I purchased Tuopen told me that an elderly Norwegian
visitor thought the blinders (blinkers, winkers) on American harness were
bad and should be removed. Indeed, some of the pictures of European harness
show bridles without blinders. Anyone have any opinions, pro or con, about
blinders?

Also, many harness bridles have a strap that runs around the muzzle and is
attached either to the headstall or to the bit rings, something like an
"English" riding bridle. Alternatively, I've seen it as a Y-shaped strap
that runs between the eyes and down to the bit rings. This strap is not
necessarily used to support the blinders, although it sometimes does. What
is its purpose and are there any particular concerns in adjusting it to fit
the horse's head?

DeeAnna