This message is from: Steve McIlree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Brian--

Monday, Monday, November 09, 1998, you wrote:

> This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (BRIAN C JACOBSEN)

> Thanks to all the computer people for your input on the Y2K problem.  I
> wonder, though, if your expertise in your respective areas of computers
> is blinding you to the real problem.  This is a people problem, not a
> computer problem.  You have all the faith in the world in computers
> because you know they only do what they are programmed to do, and they
> rarely ever mess up.  You are exactly right.  But the real problem here
> is with people.

  I have to agree with you that this is a people problem. However, I
  believe that the problem lies with people getting a thrill out of
  preparing for a disaster. There could be a real problem with the
  economy if enough people believed that the banks were going to
  collapse that there was a run of people trying to move their
  investments to gold or silver. That would be a people problem as are
  most self-fulfilling prophecies. Did you know that in the year 1000
  there was wide-spread famine? Why? Not because a new millennium had
  dawned, but because in 999 many people did not plant crops because
  they believed it was futile since the world was going to end at the
  stroke of midnight on December 31. Also, the years following were
  boom times for lawyers, as people tried to recover the goods and
  properties that they had signed over to the church in anticipation
  of the Apocalypse.

  Now, I'd like to remind everyone that the topic of this list is
  discussion of Norwegian Fjord horses. If anyone would like to
  discuss Y2k scenarios further, I recommend you go to www.liszt.com,
  do a search on Y2K and check out the many mailing lists which are
  devoted to *that* subject. If you would like to see a balanced
  discussion of the problem, I would recommend www.zdnet.com/zdy2k/.

--
Steve McIlree & Cynthia Madden -- Pferd, Keyah, Skipper, Tank -- Omaha,
Nebraska, USA