This message is from: "Werner, Kristine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello, Linda -

Kai used to crowd in the beginning, too - and step on my feet and go too
fast etc. etc..
He still crowds my husband when they go for a walk. I am not sure why -
someone once
told me that Fjords are "in your face"-type animals and like it real
cozy. But I am not sure
about that. I just know that pushing doesn`t fly with me.
For that reason I always have him (Kai, not my husband) on a "chain"
lead;
the chain part is perhaps 10 inches long and I weave it in and out of
the
halter. This helps to keep him in line and if he forces me to jerk on it
I will and this is
uncomfortable for him. In the beginning he was so unruly that I had to
walk him around with
his bridle and bit on him. Nowadays it is a pleasure to go for walks - I
enjoy it almost as much
as riding. But I refuse to dispense with the chain lead.
Apart from the chain lead I always carry a CROP. This is paramount - Kai
has respect to the nth
degree for the whip and I use this to my advantage, which is also his
advantage, in the long run.
When Kai is too quick, I tap him lightly on the breast, murmur "shhhh,
slower" and he responds.
He knows what it`s all about, but he just running a spot check, testing,

to see whether or not I am paying attention.
He wants to obey, but he has to make sure first that its worth it -
funny, just exactly like children - they know
when you are bluffing.
Take a crop along with you, Linda, and point the way out to your
gelding. When he gets too close,
tap him on the side (if you push, he will simply "lean" into your shove)
with the whip - then you can
point out to the front and side to show him where you want him to walk.
Speak to him as you do this -
horses understand language after a time.
You might also try leading him on both sides. You may notice that he
reacts differently - is quicker, slower,
does crowd etc... Kai leads better when I am right of him than left. I
have read that it is a good idea to
carry out every sort of procedure both from the left and from the right
- including mounting, leading and so forth -
to keep the horses from becoming stiff and too one-sided. It is also
good for improving the horses awareness -
the left-sided experience can differ greatly a repetition of the same on
the right.
Good luck on the lunge line !

Regards,

Kristine