This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Meredith Sessoms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> All I've heard about it was that a man named Purdy raised Fjord
> Horses and when he died no one knew who was who in his herd.
>
> Where did the man live ... out West?????
> Whose imports were his herd based on?????  Pre-Jacobsen?????
> Did he show, drive, pack, log or just breed?????

I think he was in Colorado; most of the horses he bred ended up
there, and in Montana, Wyoming, Alberta, and BC.

Apparently, his breeding stock was some of the "original" 1950's
imports from Norway; not sure if he was the importer, or if he bought
them from the Broadmore Hotel.  He stood the American Foundation
stallions Solvfast and Sanko.  I believe that this was all in the
1960's; Jacobsen got into Fjords in the early 70's.

One of the early Fjord Heralds had an article by Jacobsen on the
history of Fjords in the US.  I guess I need to dig it out, and see
what he said about Purdy.

But, yes, I'd really like to hear what some of the oldtimers in the
breed remember/heard about Purdy.

Then, there was Dave Parker, some of whose Fjords were registered as
"sire Unknown, dam Unknown, breeder Unknown"---which I suspect means
that he bought it at auction, and it looked like a Fjord....  (He is
doubly of interest to me, as he was co-founder of the American Council
of Spotted Asses, which my pinto donkey, Shadow, is registered with.)

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
30 mi SSE of San Francisco, Calif.
-------