This message is from: Mike May <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 07:13 AM 9/23/98 -0400, you wrote:
>This message is from: walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>I'm sure Carol's comments are accurate but may strike some as being too
>direct, but I think we all need to hear the truth and deal with it head
>on.
>Although I did not attend Blue Earth or Libby, I attended both days in
>Woodstock at the NEFjord show in August.  I saw fewer attendees in
>Vermont this year than in the past - some key breeders/competitors were
>at Myopia rather than the breed show due to the level of competition
>offered there.

I received a response from Lindsay Sweeney from some of the messages I have
forwarded to her.  She is a newly elected BOD member.  She has been a BOD
member in the past also.  Her is her comment about the Woodstock show size.

"As far as the Woodstock show losing it's Big Breeders there were only two
parties who chose Myopia over the Fjord Show and that was the Wich's, who
are chasing year end points, and Dave Mcwethy who later said he wished he'd
gone to the Fjord show instead just because it is the Fjord show.  There
were others who chose the Fjord Show over Myopia, specifically Jim, who was
leading the New England Preliminary Pair Pony Challenge and Vivian Creigh
who is a fiercely dedicated CDE competitor, because of their devotion to
the breed and also the overwhelming desire to have fun amongst Fjord
friends.  This year's show was the most pleasant I've been to (I've been to
14 out of 15!)"

> In addition, the lack of fjord information, products, and opportunities
>to purchase anything Fjord related was astounding!

Yes this is kind of disappointing.  Why not contact someone in the group
and see if you can help them with getting the sales going again?

>There was an ad in the program about the NEFjord group, but no phone #,
>mailing address or registration form so one could join!

I picked up not only membership forms at the booth but also copies of the
NE groups By-Laws that are going to be up for revision.  They were there.

>The judges at the show did not comment on the classes or the winners
>over the speaker - we had a good judge 2 years ago from Michigan, I
>believe, who gave very interesting feedback to entries in various
>classes.  I have only been a spectator for the past 3 years but I can
>tell you that the show was not exciting as it has been in the past.

It is not a requirement for a judge to make comments.  Some do & some
don't.  Some feel that the placing of the class was their comment.

> I came back with my family  on Sunday to see the fjord western reining
>demonstration (because it was so interesting and professionally
>presented, very educational!) which was promised at noon and it was
>cancelled!  Didn't those wonderful ladies travel an incredible distance
>to promote the Fjord in western mode?  Why is the Registry NOT
>involved??

Here is the answer to that question also from Lindsay Sweeney.  (Hopefully
she will be joining the list soon):

"For instance the little things about the show in Woodstock whoever walker
is was obviously unaware that the show management didn't cancel the reining
demontration (which was actually a western pleasure demo, anyway!) the
colorado ladies did because their horses were so tired out that they were
showing fatigue lameness, hyperflexing of the hind pasterns, and since
their real desire was to to ridden dressage later in the day on Sunday they
bagged in the best interests of the horses.  Now who shall we BLAME for that?"

Hope that clears up a few things for you.

Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry
Mike May, Registrar
Webster, NY, USA (Suburb of Rochester)
Voice 716-872-4114