This message is from: Mike May <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 12:54 PM 9/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>This message is from: Steve McIlree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Mike--
>
>Wednesday, 23 September 1998, you wrote:
>
>> This message is from: Mike May <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>> I think what is really needed is not to change all of the classes to
>> requiring ADS rules but rather to add a class or two.  Maybe put in an
>> "Advanced Driving Class" see how it goes.  Require all of the proper
>> clothes, tack, whip etc.  Have one class that goes by ADS rules.  See if
>> people like it or not.  This way the people that "Don't want to wear a
>> sjirt" won't have to enter this class.
>
>  I think that there is some major misunderstanding regarding the call
>  for so-called "advanced" classes at the regional shows. I heard what
>  was said in the Blue Earth meeting, and all that was mentioned was
>  that perhaps it was time we asked for three trots from our horses in
>  driving classes. I don't care what other people wear in a class as
>  long as they don't ridicule my turnout. In fact I really don't care
>  if someone competes against me wearing "overalls and barnboots".
>  However, the horse that the guy in overalls is driving should be
>  able to show a slow trot, a working trot and a fast trot. This is
>  not "advanced" it is simply "well trained". Leave the classes as
>  they are, just make sure that the judges ask for all they should
>  from a good pleasure driving horse.

The topic I was refering to was the one that got the response from Tom that
he wasn't going to wear a skirt to show in.  I do remember a lot of the
members wanting to see a class that went by ADS rules.  I don't know If you
happened to notice but there were an awful lot of turnouts that were
already attired properly.  I guess I don't see the big deal in trying it.
What is one class for one show?  If no one enters it then don't do it
again.  If 10 people enter it then I think you might want to rethink it.
Maybe you don't want to call it advanced.  Call it whatever you want.

Mike

Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry
Mike May, Registrar
Webster, NY, USA (Suburb of Rochester)