This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Anneli Sundkvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> I know that the popular picture of the vikings is a male with beard,
> horned helmet and fur-clothes. BUT the actual vikings (or people
> living in the viking age - not all were vikings) did NOT dress like
> that.

This is always an issue when doing "costumes".  Does one go for true
authenticity, or for what is common public perception?  For historical
exhibits, authenticity is paramount.  But for parades and horse shows,
if something is too authentic, it might not be "recognized" for what
it really is!  A commonly-known "cartoon" character becomes more
effective.

> There is a reconstructed Viking Age rider exhibited at the
> Historical Museum in Stockholm, Sweden right now.

Gee, it'd sure be nice to have some pictures of that, along with
translations of the exhibit signs, posted on the Fjord list's web
page....

Anyway, thanks for the information on "real vikings".  I'm afraid
that, like most Americans, I tend to lump "Norse, long time ago" all
together under "viking"!

> Anneli in Sweden (who also happens to be an archaeologist,
> specialized in viking age riding and horsemanship)

I've heard the contention that old Nordic grave sites, from 2000 to
4000 years ago, contained skeletons of what looked a lot like Fjords.
Would you care to comment on the known archeological (bones, artwork,
etc) history of Fjords?

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
30 mi SSE of San Francisco, Calif.
-------