This message is from: GAIL RUSSELL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Try a Stitchdown or Express Lite by Orthoflex.  My needs were very similar.
Tried the Australian (did not fit and feels like you could never get out of
it), the Orthoflex police version, endurance version (express lite) and
Stitchdown (sort of a compromise dressage/endurance with knee bracing thrown
in - plus a cushy seat) and highly recommend it.  It has a bit of a swell in
front - feels better than my English All-Purpose type saddle.  Highly
recommend looking at one with a stitchdown seat.  The person who sold me
mine pointed out it is possible to alter the adjustable stirrup bars so you
can have a two inch stirrup leather, which does wrap around your leg and
make it feel more secure.  It does mean, however, that you lose the ability
to put your stirrups in three different positions.  Another thing you can do
is experiment with different stirrups.  I bought some *five inch* deep (the
footbed) Cloud stirrups.  They are annoyingly clunky when handling the
saddle, but you feel like you are standing on a platform - and my feet are
no longer going numb on trail rides.

I also took to wearing half-chaps with my riding shoes - makes a huge
difference in how secure I feel.  Cowboy boots might have the same effect -
but I find them way to uncomfortable for my wide feet.  And the Orthoflex
fits fine *if I don;t put it too far forward.*  (Last time I had the
Orthoflex it interfering with my horse's shoulders he was standing parked
out and my instructor - who hates these new fangled things I find on the
Internet - said, "Either he is foundering on grass hay, or his saddle is
pinching his shoulders."  She was right - but further back it is fine.)

One other advantage is it is lighter than the western or aussie saddles -
though heavier than my English Saddle.  And easier to get out of.

Highly recommend you try it!
Gail Russell
Forestville CA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]