This message is from: Mike May <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

At 11:14 AM 9/6/98 -0400, you wrote:
>This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Is there a registry standard for naming the Fjord foal? We notice a
three-letter
>prefix on most of the names in the pedigrees. With registered Holsteins you
use
>the prefix of the owner of dam at time of breeding. With our dogs (American
>Kennel Club) it can be the owner at time of birth. Julie knows what I'm
talking
>about--we bought Viola from her, but she was bred in Missouri. Any
suggestions

>will be appreciated.
>
>Barbara Lyn

Well I am not sure it is really a "Standard" or not but this is clipped frop
the Rules for Registration for the NFHR:

ARTICLE VII - NAMES

A.      In keeping with the Norwegian ancestry of the Fjord Horse, the
Norwegian
Fjord Horse Registry requests Norwegian names be used.

B.      Stallions will not be allowed to have the same name.  In case of
imported stallions with the same name, the importer will be asked to put a
farm
prefix or suffix or some other addition to the horse's name.

C.      Names already listed in any Registry will not be allowed to change
whether the Registry is in the U. S., Canada or other foreign countries.

And the NFHR Registration numbering system works like this:

ARTICLE III - REGISTRATION NUMBERING SYSTEM

A.      The Norwegian Fjord Horse Registry registration numbering system
consists of four groups of letters and/or numbers.
1.      First set of letters -- not more than 3 or less than 1 -- is the
breeder
identification letters.  Imported horses are given a letter designating the
country they were imported from.

2.      Second set of letters -- year of birth by letter starting with 1982 as
the 22nd letter (V).

3.      Third set of numbers -- registration number of animal starting with
001.  Mares and stallions each have their own set of numbers.

4.      Fourth set of letters - S, G or M to represent Stallion, Gelding or
Mare.  Registration Certificates may have SG that indicates that the horse was
originally registered as a stallion and was then gelded.