This message is from: Marsha Jo Hannah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Mike & Casey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> as I look at Tyr, I think he's going to be difficult to fit with a
> western saddle.  He's 3 yo, and got virtually no withers.  [...]  He's
> got a short back and a large barrel.
>
> I'm leaning towards an Arabian saddle,

When I first got my mare, Nansy, I took her to a tack shop and had
them try on assorted saddles, then went to a saddle-maker and did it
again.  They both selected the same Circle-Y arab-tree saddle, which
they said "fits as well as anything is going to".  Nansy put up with
it, but always seemed a little crabby when ridden.

When we got my husband's gelding, Rom (it sounds like he shares Tyr's
physique), we used Nansy's saddle on him, while trying to decide what
saddle to get him.  Everyone told me that her saddle fit him just
fine; he begged to differ, started rushing downhill, which led to
bolting downhill.  Eventually, we worked him enough to notice the big
dry spots the saddle was leaving on his shoulders (about where most
horses start to have withers).  He went better under other saddles
that we borrowed from our neighbor/trainer, although they left
different dry spots.  Eventually, we had OrthoFlex make a saddle,
custom-fit to Rom's back.  That was a huge success.  I strongly
suspect that many of Rom's behavioral problems stem from his having
been "trained" with saddles that didn't fit.

When I got my gelding, Sleepy, I again used Nansy's saddle on him.  He
was a little tense under it, and also started rushing downhill.  I
immediately ordered him his own OrthoFlex (semi-custom fit---by then,
OF had stopped doing custom fits), which has worked out fairly well
(it ruffles the hair a bit at the loin, sometimes).  I now wonder if
Nansy's saddle ever fit her, either!

The problem is those big, drafty Fjord shoulders.  Most "off the
shelf" saddle trees don't flare enough to allow Fjord shoulders to
move freely.

> do you find your Fjords growing withers when they get a bit older,
> and do you think Tyr stands a chance of that?  Or are they very
> "mutton-withered" is the term, I think, for life.

As they finish filling out and muscling up, the back develops a little
more "definition" to it.  (I.e. it gets a little of a "saddle shape",
vs being an "oil drum".)  I wouldn't say that any of mine have really
obvious withers---except maybe Nansy, who (at 29) is now so swaybacked
that saddles don't fit, anyway!

BTW, due to this "filling out" process, custom-made tack for a
3-year-old will have to be replaced by age 5, and maybe again at age
7.  It's a tradeoff---you don't want to teach the animal to be "afraid
of its back" by using ill-fitting gear, yet you don't want to spend
thousands of dollars on a sequence of saddles.  One of the benefits of
sending youngsters to a trainer is that he will have a whole tack room
full of saddles, from which he can choose the one that fits this horse
today.  Now, whether he'll bother to choose, vs just using his
favorite, is another question entirely.

Marsha Jo Hannah                Murphy must have been a horseman--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               anything that can go wrong, will!
30 mi SSE of San Francisco, Calif.
-------