This message is from: Ingvild Nygaard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Carol Rivoire posted a message about her stallion, Gjest's line, The
Baronen line. (Carol - I have a picture of Baronen 193 if you're
interested.) The Baronen line is a separat line beside the Njaal-line,
although Baronen 193 was somehow related to Njaal through Gange Rolv 142
(Njaal and Gange Rolv had the same ancestor).  Baronen is very seldom
mentioned, because his line almost died out in 1954, when the last
surviving Baronen - horse, Rein-Gust 1184, was sold from Telemark to
Dale in Sunnfjord. In Dale, Rein-Gust had the 1. prize stallion Enok
1610, and this saved the line's existance. Enok went to Voss, and had
his 1.prize son, Vosse Lars 1674. And all of Vosse Lars's sons, Helgaas
Jarl 1764, Rodin 1799 and Brennar 1824 have sons with 1. prizes. And
here's a bit that may interest Susanne: Enok 1610 was eksported to
Sweden in 1970, and he has a lot of offsprings there.

The reason why it is called the Baronen-line and not the Adalstein-line,
is because of the quality of Baronen. The lines are named after the most
prominent stallion. And altough Adalstein may have been a good stallion,
Baronen was better, and the line was named after him. This goes for all
the lines. Another reason is when Njaal and Baronen lived, they were the
only two real fjord stallions in Nordfjord. This was under the Rimfakse
war, and most of the other stallions had doelehorse-blood. (Read more
about this on my history-page)

As for the main-lines: In Norway there are only three lines after Njål,
besides the Baronen-line. This is Bergfast 635, Haakon Jarl 645 And
Oyarblakken 819. The best stallion in the Bergfast-line is Grabb 1651.
He went to North America in 1980 and are probably familiar to most of
you Americans. Haakon Jarl has Gloppang 894, Molnesblakken 792,
Torbjoern 1417, Valebu 1569 and Lidaren 1653 as the most famous
offsprings. And Oyarblakken has Dyre 1059, and Jaermann 1788. Jaermanns
father, Hosar 1717 was born on my grandfathers farm.

I have a rather nice picture of Haakon Jarl and Bergfast on my
Fjordhorse page. If you would like to take a look at it you'll find it
here:

http://home.sol.no/~hansse/pic/haakonJ&bergf.jpg

I am working on an historical rewiew (wich I never seem to finish) on
the Fjordhorse in Norway, based on books and hear-say, and when it is
finished, I'll put it up on my history-page.
--

Ingvild Nygaard
http://home.sol.no/~snygaard/

The Fjordhorse page