This message is from: Ingrid Ivic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Your mare is not just bored with the arena is she?  You say she will trot
> everwhere else?
>
> Also, she doesn't have any soreness or lameness that you know of?
> Trotting in circles (if you are doing that) can hurt more than trotting
> straight.
>
> Finally, do you have deep sand in the arena?  Trotting is alot more work
> in deep sand and some horses don't like to do it.  Some also think deep
> sand is more slippery than hard dirt, and they don't like it.

  Hello Brian,
    Thanks for the questions!
1.Yes, I do believe she is just bored with arena work, because she
doesn't misbehave elsewhere, ie. the "trail".
2.I did have our vet and farrier look at her for any lameness and foot
problems...nothing showed up. We also looked into the tack I used...that
didn't seem to be it either. I've used both a western saddle and a
dressage saddle...either a plain, training snaffle bit or a full cheek
snaffle.
3.I don't like doing many small circles with any horse, I understand
that it can be stressful, especially with a young one, not used to much
work. We work around the edge of the arena, two long, two short
sides...and go across diagonally...not many circles. She's not too stiff
with her neck, does alright there. Her balance isn't bad either.
4.Gosh, I wish I had some sand in my arena, but right now I only have
dirt and wood chips. I'd like to add some sand, but haven't had the
funds to do that.
    I appreciate your help...sometimes "certain situations" can be a bit
puzzeling! I'm going to chalk it up to fjord ingenuity (don't want to
call it stubborness, they're too smart!) and boredom. I believe
eventually she'll come around, no sense pushing her. I've only had her
for a few months now and think it's just her personality, other
"training" situations have been "slow in learning" with her also...such
as moving over, lifting feet, etc...but she does these now fairly well.
This list is very informative...have enjoyed all the great suggestions,
thanks! Ingrid