This message is from: Cynthia_Madden/OAA/UNO/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tank and I have been enjoying the trails a lot the last few days. I am so
glad the time has changed again and I can do things with the horses in the
evening. I have been getting in all the riding I can as I have to go out of
town for five days and I can't stand the thought of being away in such good
weather after a winter of so little horse activity and the woods are so
pleasant right now.

Tank has stopped seeing trolls and is concentrating instead on going up and
down our little hills. I'll bet you thought Nebraska was flat (Illinois is
flat,  west Texas is flat). It is great conditioning for him. We will hit
the roads in the cart when I get back if I have been able to get a new
driving bit for him. He has outgrown his current one over the winter.

I am thinking about getting a KK bit for riding. Tell me, someone, are they
really worth their cost? I sure want Tank to have a comfortable non-abusive
bit, but they are soooo expensive! I currently use a German loose-ring
snaffle on him and he goes fine in it. Though it is getting a bit small
also. And if you use a KK, which one to you recommend - schooling or
training bit?

Thanks for all the tips on sheath cleaning. Keyah and Pferd (the Morgan's)
don't mind it, but Tank doesn't like it. I will try some of the ideas.
Also, I have used the spreading hands trick on Tank and he stops and
doesn't invade my space. It works great. We are also learning to stand - I
think he is mentally more ready for the concept now, but I am also being
more demanding about it.

Welcome all you new subscribers! This list is so much fun and so
informative.

Happy trails!

Cynthia Madden, Coordinator
Office of Sponsored Programs & Research