This message is from: Roland Thier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Does the NFHR have a brand for the Fjords who pass muster at American
> evaluations?????
>
> My fjord mare, Dorina, has the Dutch brands on each hip.  I understand
> that this is done at the two year old evaluation, and that she must have
> passed through a grading system at the time.

Dutch foals get the + with dots on the right side when they are graded the
first time
and enter the foal-registry. (usualy when they are a couple of months old).
They get
the upside-down triangle with a 'D' in it on the age of three when they enter
the
Registry. Some letters are not used like Q, but i thought the X is used. The
letter "I"
is used for import fjords.

The + with the dots represents the registry-number of the fjord, i know a
little bit
about this numbers:
1 2 | 1 2
_________
3 4 | 3 4

The left side are the ten-numbers the 1 stands for 10, 2 for 20, 3 for 30, for
50 to 90
they use combinations of the left side numbers. The right side are the normal
numbers.
So 1 stands for 1, 2 for 2,and 5 to 9 are combinations of these.

For numbers above 100 they use two plus's.

So the number 12 is:
* . | . *
_________
. . | . .

Since 1997 they do not use this system any more, now they put chips in the neck
of the
fjord.

> And when you see a two year old Dutch filly with the brands on each hip,
> what does that tell you?????

It is a real fjord, because you get the brands when the parents are known. When
the
parents are not known they enter the hulp-registry and then the upside-down
triangle
has the letters "HB" of hulpbook in it.

I don't think the fjord will be two then they have two brands, because they get
the
second when they are three year's old.

Roland Thier (I will introduce my self later)
(Holland)