It is so exciting to have a Fjord List.

My name is Sue Banks, and I live in Mattaponi, VA (near Williamsburg)
with two Fjord mares. I got my first mare, BDF Lillehammer (Gjest x
Maryke), Lilly to me, almost 2 years ago in May just before she turned
2. My older Morgan mare that my son was riding (I was training Lilly to
eventually replace her) became too lame to ride or drive, so I bought
another Fjord, now 12, Freya (Solar x Zigina), for us to share.

I have ridden hunt seat for most of my life, some showing and
foxhunting, and like many riders, my back hurts. I did some driving with
my old Morgan, but I prefer to ride. Three years ago, in anticipation of
my Morgan's eventual retirement, I tried several big horses bred by my
sisters (for foxhunting). It hurt my back to ride them, so I decided to
buy a Fjord. I had seen them at the driving shows for many years, and
they looked just perfect for my situation. Big enough for an adult to
ride, gentle enough for kids to play with, and good driving horses when
it became too painful to ride.

Well, the good news is that my two Fjords have been so comfortable, I am
able to ride. Jumping seemed to be the hardest thing on my back, so I
started taking dressage lessons. I am taught to keep my back vertical,
shoulders over my hips, and it puts less strain on back, hooray!
Unfortunately it means I have not dug out my harness in months. Both of
my horses have had some basic driving training, but not much mileage in
harness. Like most people, I have too many things that keep me away from
playing with my horses as much as I would like. Like others on the list,
I have 2 Orthoflex saddles, Versatile models, that work well on my
Fjords and with my back.

Lilly, Freya and I were at Equitana last year and hope to support the
great folks who organize the NFHR promotion there again this year. Whoa,
this gets long too fast. I want to say HI to the Fjord Folks I have met
there, and through e-mail.

Sue Banks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]