This list is great; it seems to address all the topics that really relate
to Fjords!

I have 3 ortho-flex saddles at the moment, and have purchased 5 all
together.  Started with one of their first models, which I sold to friends
with fjords.  I first tried a Sharon Saare endurance saddle, only to find
it bridged.  I didn't know that much about saddling at that time (1987) and
was setting that saddle over Stella's shoulders in an attempt to make it
fit, and poor Stella:  She was terrible when I started out riding, and I
didn't know enough to know it was the saddle.  She eventually got numb to
the pain and was a bit better later in the ride.  I stopped riding her when
she got closer to foaling, and then ordered the Ortho-flex.  Rode it on my
gelding, Bjarne, who I got that spring.  After Stella had foaled and the
foal was a couple months old, I tried the Ortho-flex saddle on her, and
even leaving her foal for the first time and not having been ridden for
months, she was happy and obedient, no problems like before.  It made me a
believer in the Ortho-flex.

There are used Ortho-flex saddles for sale on the Endurance net classified
ads, http://www.endurance.net  and also I see them advertised in the
classified ads of Trail-Blazer magazine.

Cantering has been a problem for me with my big gelding, BJorken. He will
break into a canter sometimes, but I throw him off balance.  Last summer my
dressage instructor worked on his canter by lunging him in the field over
low jumps to get him more balanced, and we were just getting the hang of
canter departs last fall when the weather got bad.  My instructor can get
him into a canter, but is concerned with him being heavy  on the forehand
and off balance, thus running faster and faster to try to get his balance.
(Gail copied an article from the Horseman list yesterday addressing this).
 Seems like Fjords are bred more for wonderful trots than canters!

I have been using the Glory butterfly bits for riding as well as driving,
using two reins on the bit for my dressage lessons.  I use mostly the
snaffle rein but have the curb rein available for control.The Glory
butterfly is like a pelham bit, with a mullen mouthpeice.  You can get them
in any size to fit your Fjords.

Jean in sunny Fairbanks, Ak   20 degrees this AM, up to 35 today

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]