This message is from: Jean Ernest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Didn't someone awhile back ask how to train their horse to neck rein?
These suggestiona were on the Trailriding list:

***************
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 05:36:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kristi Schaaf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CTR: neck reining training - try Tteam neck rope

- --- Michelle Fink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Any hints on how to train neck reining would be
> appreciated!

Since we've been discussing Tteam lately, Linda
Tellington Jones has another great product. It's a
stiff "lariat" neck rope that's just a connected
circle. I used one to teach Dez to neck rein and it
took about 10 minutes!! Someone posted the web page
for Tteam, I think a few days ago, and you could look
there for one. You could also probably make your own,
but you'd have to find some REALLY stiff lariat to do
it. Someone else may be able to do a good job of
explaining how to use it (Ruth, are you out there?)

Kristi

I agree - the TTEAM neck rope is the greatest,
easiest and fastest method I've ever found to teach a horse to neck rein. In
fact, it's so easy it should almost be patented! Years ago, Linda came out
with a neck ring that was made of lightweight wood (or bamboo, or something
like that). You'd put it around the horse's neck and guide them with it.
Later she came out with the lariat, which is stiff but not rigid like the
first neck ring. I didn't have either one to start with, but at one clinic
Linda had told me she could ride my horse with just a piece of string around
the horse's neck. I thought (with my highstrung Arabian mare!) I'd believe
that one when I saw it. And, like usual, Linda made a believer out of me.

You don't need a fancy piece of equipment for this, even a lead rope or
leather rein will work, tho the lariat is handier because it is more rigid.
You just put it around the horse's neck, with enough slack so it has several
inches daylight between withers and chest. It helps to have an arena or
small pen to work the horse in to start with till they get the idea of how
it works. You pick the rope up so it's not touching the neck, ask the horse
to walk forward, then when you want to turn, cue with your legs, seat, body
position for the turn and "neck rein" with the rope about halfway up the
horse's neck. Remember to use inside leg at girth, outside leg behind, in
the direction of the turn. And turn at the waist and look towards the
direction you want the horse to turn. The horse turns... practice several
times in each direction, you have a horse that knows how to neck rein.

To stop, cue first with your aids (sitting deeper in the saddle, shifting
weight downward, straighten your back so you quit moving with the horse's
movement), then drop the neck rope down so it's towards the horse's chest,
and say "whoe". If the horse totally ignores the command, you may need to
raise the rope to just below its jawline and "bump" it more firmly. It
doesn't take long for them to catch on to stopping, starting and turning.
It's fun to ride over little obstacles using just a neck rope, practice
figure 8s and other exercises. Since you don't have a bit or other device to
fuss with, you have to use your own aids (legs, seat, weight) more correctly
and is a great test of how well you're using these. Some people have been
known to ride out and actually trail ride with just a neck rope, but I
prefer to stay within the confines of my horse's 1/2 acre lot. The horses
seem to enjoy the exercises with the neck rope for a change of pace, too.
And it's great for teaching a horse to back up, if for some reason they've
become high headed and resistant (like from the rider pulling on the reins).
Just drop the rope to the chest level, and cue the horse to back, tell him
"back". Usually, since there's no bit in the horse's mouth, they'll drop
their head towards the rope as they start to back up. Much nicer! And it
really is easy

Ruth

Jean Ernest
Fairbanks, Alaska