This message is from: "Lynn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thank you for all your responses. It has put my mind at rest a little. I
have no plans to rush into this - We are in fact planning a trip to Europe
in 2002 to take in some Fjord studs etc, so I really am on this list to
learn. In truth the quote I posted is the only negative comment I have come
across (I ignore anything that is a personal opinion such as colour, shape
etc).

As there are I think (heresay) only about 60 horses in Oz (Fjords) and I am
not even sure if that is purebreds or if it also includes crosses, my
opportunity to find out about them first hand are somewhat limited. Hence
my question about problems in certain lines, as if the representatives here
are mostly from closely related animals then such problems could be
accentuated.

When I read some of the posts, I think you are talking about my Friesian,
the temperament seems so similar! I particularly relate to the lunging
problems. Inca too is far more likely to come up to see what all the fuss
is about so she will be a good grounding for working with another such
breed.

I was I admit a little alarmed after following the links to the historical
information about the near loss of the breed and the tracing back to one
only stallion. This is the problem we have in the Friesian population in
that they too were nearly bred to extinction (because of their ability to
produce such excellent crosses, many modern Warmbloods owing much to their
Friesian ancestors, particularly Dutch Warmbloods and Oldenburgers!) and
now all modern Friesians can be traced back through three sire lines to one
founding sire. It is precisely this small gene pool that seems to
contribute to a lower fertility and other breeding problems that I was
hoping to move away from in a more robust "natural" breed, but find that
the Fjord too nearly met the same fate.

Is the gene pool now considered a problem? With the Friesians a close check
is kept on the in breeding coefficient or possible combinations.

Lynn