This message is from: "Anna Rousseau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sherrie:

YOu cannot generalize in such a statement. How can you say what each cross will definately look like? Only God has that power. How many Fjord crosses have you seen?

Anna

From: "Ron & Sherrie Dayton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <fjordhorse@angus.mystery.com>
Subject: Cross breeding
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 21:38:40 -0800

This message is from: "Ron & Sherrie Dayton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

This is to address the issue of crossbreeding that Anna raised.  Crossbred
Fjords are not an improvement to either breed that they're crossed with.

I've seen Fjords crossed to Arabians, what you ended up with was a horse
with a beautiful Arab type head, the Fjord neck & shoulders, large through
the body on little tiny fine boned Arab legs, not an improvement for either
breed.  The Quarterhorse/Fjord cross produced a horse with the Fjord neck
and heavier front end of the Fjord and lost all that lightning quickness of
the Quarterhorse.  Quarterhorses tend to have pretty good bone so there
again, no improvement to either one.  Fjords crossed to Welsh pony's don't
improve either breed.  We have friends that raise Welsh's and they're
gorgeous all on their own, crossed to a Fjord they loose some of the
refinement and action that the Welsh usually has as a purebred.

In all cases of crossbeeding Fjords the one thing that doesn't get passed on
to the other breed is the Fjord disposition.  I have not seen a Fjord cross
that created a "better horse" no matter what it was crossed with.   The
Fjord breed ends up getting a bad rap for a bad dispositioned horse that
looks like a Fjord and tends to get passed off as "A Fjord" , not a part
Fjord.

Bottom line, crossing a Fjord to another doesn't improve either one.

Sherrie Dayton
[EMAIL PROTECTED]