[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< This is probably a stupid question,but here goes. If there is 100% info on
bits,I know 5%.I am wondering if there is a traditional or common bit used
for riding Fjords.I have been using a Eggbutt snaffle,but don't feel that I
have the best control that I could.I am trail riding only and have "heavy
hands".I would welcome any suggestions.  Thanks,Ellen >>

Hi Ellen-

First, as I'm sure everyone else will remind you, there's no such thing as a
stupid question. I've only owned Fjords one year and believe me, I still have
many questions!

Despite my lack of experience, I'm opinionated on bits. "Heavy hands" is a
problem I'm also getting over. It has taken many successful rides for me to
relax my "death grip" and start gently guiding my horses with legs and a
little rein. Because of this problem, I have fanatically stuck with mild
snaffles. Remember, the bit or other equipment is only as good as the hands
that hold it. A pro can use (almost) any bit she likes without hurting the
horse. However, it's too easy for a non-pro to get into the "severe bit
syndrome," that is, buying harsher and harsher bits as the horse fails to
respond to each one.

The eggbutt snaffle is a favorite, provided it's smooth (not twisted) and
broken in the middle. No, you won't have a lot of "control" with this bit,
but what is control really? Is it a painful emergency brake in the form of a
piece of metal in the horse's mouth? No. It's the partnership between you and
your horse, the respect and trust he has for you.

The types of bits I use are (help me out here, bit experts) a D-ring snaffle
w/copper inlay, and an eggbutt snaffle with copper rollers. My horses take
these bits readily and carry them in a relaxed manner.

Ellen, have you visited the clicker training web site? If not, here's the
link...  <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/az/clickryder/home.html";>ClickRyder
--Clicker Training for Horses, Mules, Donkeys</A> . Good info on fun, easy
training you can do by yourself. For me anyway, the clicker is my emergency
brake.

Hope this helps,

Brigid