This message is from: "Meredith Sessoms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Is a horse smart enough to seek shelter when the weather is bad enough to
>possibly cause hypothermia? These past few days have been rainy and 35
>degrees. Petra has a shelter to go into, but doesn't go into it. Does that
>mean the weather isn't bad enough that she needs to seek shelter, or is she
>too stupid to seek shelter on her own and I need to intervene?

I would say the horse is fine if she is healthy, strong and not shivering.
In Tennessee there isn't a lot of cold weather that concerns me, but
whenever I am afraid they might get chilly I give them lots of extra hay to
eat which keeps them warm in chilly, wet and windy weather.  If it would put
your mind at ease put her up in the shelter.