This message is from: Mary Thurman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- Lori Puster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This message is from: Lori Puster
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> I was wondering about the "cut off" between grey dun
> and brown dun myself.

> Just what makes a grey a grey, and not a light brown
> dun?

Lori,

Since I own a "light brown dun", I think I can tell
you what the difference is between a lysbrun ('light
brown') and a grey:  Look at the face on Cosmo and
Comet - forget body color for a moment.  Both have
VERY distinctly grey faces - all the way up to their
eyes - a 'light brown dun' does not have a grey face,
or grey legs.  He has the "mealy" colored muzzle just
like any other brown dun - which means his muzzle is
slightly lighter than the rest of his face, similar to
the face coloring on a mule.  If a horse is very light
colored and lacks the "mule" color difference on the
nose, ie. his face is the same color all the way down,
he is considered a 'white dun' or ulsblakka.  I prefer
to refer to the nose color as mule offcolor in most
cases because that term connotes a better picture than
the term "mealy" does when talking to nonFjord people
or to new Fjord people who are not familiar with the
terminology of the Fjord world.  Say "mealy" to them
and you get a blank look, say "mule colored" to them
and they get a picture right away, as most of them
have seen at least one mule or donkey.

Mary

=====
Mary Thurman