This message is from: GAIL RUSSELL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your advice on the grey.  Odin's muzzle is grey - so maybe he is
a grey.

As to his conformation, I didn't mention it, but we are looking at  his
conformation.  I would be tarred and feathered (gently, of course) by
various persons on this list if I didn't consider that. :)

So far, I can find nothing out of place.  Very nice hindquarters, *beautiful
hard pony feet - he looks like he may never need shoes*, very balanced body,
straight legs, nice balanced movement - though more an exquisite flat hunter
type like his mom's (she is beautiful when she trots) than the flashy
dressage type  (see Susan Harris' book on gaits for comparision of these
types), friendly and spookproof to the max (he whinnies (sp)and comes
running whenever anyone approaches the pasture), very friendly, good neck
and shoulder. He is going to be a tall, big and solid Fjord, but also move
light on his feet. EVERY time the vet or farrier come around I tell them -
"Tell me ANYTHING you see that doesn't look right - in the slightest."
Believe me, my farrier would tell me immediately - he is a friend and would
definitely prefer it if I did not have a stallion around.  He is not
thrilled that I bought Romulus - and definitely would discourage me from
maintaining an inferior stallion.  I keep asking Amy (the horsetrainer)
about anything wrong - whenever I talk about gelding him early she pleads
with me to wait a bit longer.  I ask the vet to walk around him and check
him out too - actively invite him to point out any conformation flaws.  The
vet is a popular one, breeds horses and mules himself, does a lot of AI work
with the local warmblood breeders and with a nationally known dressage
trainer.  I think he would be straight with me.  The only thing I can find
to criticize is I would like his head to be a perfect Fjord head - it looks
to me like that is not going to happen - though the overall look may change
when his forelock grows out.  He won't have a bad looking head (not the
overlong "horsie" look), but I don't think it will be that exquisite look
some Fjords have that makes grown men weep - and kiss pony muzzles when no
one is looking.<g>

The only reason I would geld him if he were not grey is that I believe that
there are plenty of Anvil's Regin (Regin is his grandsire)  offspring out
there - particularly in the Pacific Northwest - and lots with the nice
qualities that come with those bloodlines.  In grey - I don't think that is
necessarily so - that is why I asked about other gray offspring from
Rudaren/Regin.  I think he might well be a good addition to the pool of grey
genes - particularly for creating a 14.2+  pony hunter/low level dressage
type horse that would be suitable for adults or children.

Oh - and Jean reminded me to mention that Odin's sire is Leidjo - which is
almost certainly where at least some of his grey genes came from.  Anita and
Orville regularly got grey babies from Leidjo x Lena(Odin's granddam)  - in
fact I believe Luisa (Odin's dam) was a one-time test mating with Regin to
see if he would transfer his good qualities well.  Then Lena went back to
Leidjo as she reliably produced greys from him. The fact that Odin carries
Leidjo blood is another reason to geld him if he is a brown dun - in that,
between Regin and Leidjo, he will be related to a lot of the brown duns in
the Pacific Northwest.  Probably no real need for more of those bloodlines -
unless Odin could add something in particular to the grey gene pool.

Speaking of Lena - does anyone on the list have her, or know about the grey
filly she had after Luisa - or whether she is still producing babies or
what....?

My next project is asking about breeding for "perfect pony feet" - unless
someone does it for me?

Thanks all  :)

Gail

>How about looking at his conformation too?  Don't just look at his
>color.  A bad grey stallion is no more desirable that a bad brown or any
>other color.  Color is of course a consideration but don't let it be the
>only thing your looking at.
>
>Mike

Gail Russell
Forestville CA