This message is from: "Meredith Sessoms" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Casey wrote ...

>My 2 horses, one Fjord and one QH, are systematically de-barking our
>trees.  We live in Alabama, and have quite a few (literally over 400)
>trees on our property so it's not as if we bought, planted and nurtured
>them . . but still . .  we wonder if they are lacking some nutrition,
>some supplement, something! to cause them to literally eat trees.
><snip>
>I'm not worried enough to fence them off from the trees unless theres a
>health factor involved<snip>

Casey ... my two have stripped, chewed, bent and killed every tree in their
paddock that was under an inch in diameter.  Now they are working on a few
larger ones.  Aagot walks over them to bend them over and eat the leaves.
The bigger she gets the larger the trees she is able to destroy!  I think it
is natural for them to eat leaves and bark to some degree.  And down South
we have plenty of trees for them to eat!

Come fall, all I can do to combat fallen leaf and acorn eating is to feed
them an endless supply of hay until the novelty of the season wears off.
They do eat acorns, shell and all, with relish.

All I know to do is to recognize, dig up and chop down all choke cherries
and red maples.