This message is from: Alison Barr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Ripple Creek Lodge in the White Mountains of CO has fabulous horses.  They
> appoint ~you~ as the guide before you take off, so your group is free to go
> wherever you want to go at your own pace.

Please don't think I want to imply anything about any place, but this is
a much abused system.  I boarded for a long time at a farm that did this
sort of trail riding, and I also bought my Sun Star there.  The manager
was one of the best horsemen I have ever know, and I have never seen him
so much as loose his temper around them, but this is not the case with
the dude riders.  I never actually worked barns, but I hung around
allot, and the animals end up really abused.  Boyfriends try to show
off, they loose their temper, and are generally abusive ( Not just
boyfriends, but they were the worst).  I have horses come back head to
toe lather because they have been galloped for 1 hour straight.  I have
seen people whip the horses while their reins are too short for the
horse to move.  This is the exception to the rule, but I wouldn't like
to go to a place like this.  The horses hate it.  Sunny always bucked.
I know that this is not necessarily the result with all guide less trail
rides, but I feel a warning is in order for those looking for a fun
time.  Many of these horses would not leave the barn at all.

In case you're wondering, This place has since closed down as the army
base closed, and the horses all got amazing homes (even Sox, the worst
of the bunch).  And for proof that the horses understood who was
responsible and felt happy outside of these incidents, the barn manager
has rode Sunny a few times.  Sunny was happy to see him and was a
gentleman, even though he tossed most adult riders ( but never the 10
year old girl :o)).  The manager also would do things like pay $600 for
surgery on a 30ish year old horse ( who is now at least 36 and living
with my old riding instructor).