This message is from: GAIL RUSSELL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

A couple of people have asked me privately - "What was foolish about your
purchase of Romulus?" Well....
Try - I have only one mare, with no plans (or room) to house another one. :)
And I know nothing (YET) about managing a stallion.  And Romulus has been
worked with very little and needs some manners polishing, as well as
training to ride and drive.   So... I had no business buying him.  Unlike
Peg Knutsen, (now there is a *sensible woman*) I didn't buy a stallion with
a long record, and lots of training. No.... I buy the completely green 5
year old.

However, - I can learn to cope.  Sent him straight to Brian Jensen for
manners and driving training for the winter and early spring.  Took some
talking.  After I got the first, "no - we don;t have room for a stallion in
training." I persisted.  All the best manipulative devices used. :) So he
has been there since early December, getting groundwork training and regular
human contact.

Why did I do this.  Well.... ask Jean Ernest.  She called me over to see him
in the round pen at Libby and told me I ought to buy him.  (She has since
apologized and said it was "wicked of her" to have suggested it. :)) He had
lovely gaits.  A really nice canter, and great impulsion - all done with no
conditioning, in a tiny round pen.  His ability to elevate his front end at
the trot was like nothing I had seen on a Fjord, much less one without
conditioning.  He had a beautiful head, and one of his offspring was at
Libby and looked really nice.  So.... I went home for several months and
considered it all.  And corresponded with Mike May about his pedigree, other
horses of his breeding, and tried to talk the Jensen's into taking him for
training, and looked at pictures of as many stallions as I could find. Mike
said his sire, Ramstad, had an incredible presence that made him stand out
in a barn full of horses.  That is what Romulus did to me... I just couldn't
forget him.

And then.... my SO said I should buy him.  Mind you, this is a man who would
never in his life buy a Fjord.  He is into QH's - and Arabs, maybe a Morgan.
But he said - if you want to get into Fjords, and you think he is a really
good stallion - buy him - take the risk.

I think this is what happens when you are conservative all your life, take
almost no risks, and then turn 50.  Heck, at least I didn't kill myself
during my "motorcycle phase."  How much can go wrong buying an eensy weensy
stallion?

Will let you guys know how his training goes.  The Jensen's are sending a
video this weekend.  I have a JPG of Romulus that Phil sent me that clinched
the deal.  It sat on my dining room table for months before I finally
decided to buy him.  IF anyone wants a copy - let me know.  Don't worry,
you're safe - he is not for sale any more. :)
Gail Russell
Forestville CA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Clicker List Web Site : http://clickryder.cjb.net