This message is from: Evers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

We have always had a horse or a pony around.We had gone to an auction in
our area.1960. We saw this black Shetland pony stud, and our two kids had
to have him.  We paid $90 for him. He had been used for the farm breeding.
When we got him home it was decided we would  geld him. Bud did it that week.
( Pokey) Was 11 years old and not broke.Well he got his training ,from our
kids, thru trial and error,bumps and bruses. Amy was born the next year. In
her first year she was put on Pokey  with out a saddle.We were 4-H leaders
and all the kids in our neighbor learned on Pokey.We moved around the USA
from the East coast to the West coast and a few states in between. Pokey
was always with us. Remembering a time we moved from WY. to Florida just
after Xmas 1965. We had to get a big U-haul truck. Not having a horse
trailer at that time we put a tarp in the rear of the truck and up over the
family belongings. Pokey had the rear end of that truck.When we got to the
Fl. state line, late at nite, the inspectors wanted papers for proof that
he was ours.We had that and the vet slip.The inspector said Florida
prohibits any vehicle hauling livestock in if not disinfected. We were told
we would have to go back to Ga. and get it done. .Well the four kids
cried.(me too) They were tired & wanted to get to Grandmas house.One kind
inspector walked back to his station and when he returned to us he had a
can of disinfectant. He got up on the truck, sprayed it into the truck
saying there its been disinfected.
Then he said go on to Grandmas house. While we were in Florida we were
offered a blank ck. from a Lawyer to name our price .He wanted that pony
for his Grandchildren. We never put a price on him because he was not for
sale at any amount.
We have had a lot of good times with Pokey and our 4 kids.Well the time
came when we took him to our Vet. Pokey had been on softer food because his
teeth were gone. Right down to the gums and he would try to eat the grass
but it would not go down and he would choke on it..Our Vet, said he could
do  surgery but it would happen again and again.On his advise Pokey was put
down. Pokey would of been 40 years old in a few months.We were lucky to
have taken a photo of our 4 kids on him in 1965  and then our 6
grandchildren on him later I hope to have it on our web page soon.I could
write a book on tales with Pokey. Gone but not forgotten. Tillie