This message is from: "Carl & Sarah Nagel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Dear Catherine,

We just went through that this summer.  Our older mare, Jonetta (June) was
25.  She had been fine ... enjoying "quality of life" even tho she had
heaves, they were controlled with medication, and she wasn't suffering.  She
was a terrific horse, perfect for her job as my daughters horse.   The next
week, she caught a virus, it turned into pneumonia and everything went
downhill fast.  At the end of three weeks, it was obvious to us that it was
time.   A more experienced person might have known it right away, but it
took me at least one week to realize that she wasn't going to recover.  My
vet was incredibly instrumental in helping me realize it was time to put her
down and she assurred me that  she would not euthanize June prematurily.
Once she told me June was actually suffering, we did what we had to do.

When you find yourself in those situations wondering?  Ask your vet, work
closely with them.  They will help you.   Also, often you just "know".  You
can tell by looking in the horse's eye ... you can see when they are ready
and when they are still fighting.  I have found this to be true with cats
and dogs as well.

Good luck and God bless you for taking in those rescue and damaged animals.
Along with the heartbreak, there are often very rich rewards to be gotten

Sarah Nagel