This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

There is a reason that some fjords cost more than others besides
pedigrees. Training. Training takes time. Time is money.

I have been  told by  many people interested in purchasing a horse from
me that I want too much for a horse they wish to purchase. They know
where there is another for sale that less expensive. One either pays now
or later. I have a horse that is trained,  they buy one that isn't
trained then one of 2 things happens. There is a wreck & the horse is
sold to someone else or not used, or they end up paying someone to train
the horse.

It is much to teach rather than unteach. Fjords don't have innate
abilities to know what to do when being driven or ridden. They must be
trained. Training takes time. Time is money. Is there an echo in here?

I applaud the Merkles for posting what they did. I'm sure it wasn't easy
to do that.

I agree with those that use an older horse to train the young ones.
Before I hook a green horse to a cart the horse has been ground driven in
a corral with harness with some weight & some noise. They are used to
having the tugs on their legs, used to the noise the chains make, used to
me being RIGHT behind them messing with their legs, the chains. The lines
have been all over them, between their legs, hitting them. They
understand the concept of whoa. They also turn when asked. First time on
the cart is scary. For those of us fortunate enough to have an older
horse, & the experience of driving a team, it is much easier.

Let me preface this by saying I try not to get into this situation but it
has happened. When one gets into a runaway situation if there is room I
like to let them run, then keep them running until they are so tired they
can't run anymore, then run some more. I would hazard a guess that many
will disagree however I have found that they may think twice about
running if they have been made to run long after the thrill of it has
passed. I know up above I said it is easier to teach than unteach (if
that is even a word).

Remember when hooking, hook the neck yoke first then the tugs. When
unhooking, unhook the tugs first then the neck yoke.

 I have carried on a long time here. I hope it makes sense to you.

Bye

Joel Harman
Brass Ring Ranch
Mosier OR