This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

In a message dated 12/4/99 7:42:17 AM Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< I noticed a list member from NM (was is Gail?) mentioned that one of her
 horses had recently had sand colic.  We are having one of the muddiest
 falls that I can remember and the Fjords are determined to find any
 blade of grass available and in the process, I assume, eating dirt.  How
 much of a problem can this be??  They get breakfast, lunch and dinner in
 the barn in nice clean feeders so it is not because they are hungry! :)
 I have noticed the fiber type supplements in the feed store, does anyone
 use this as a preventitive?? >>

Jane, it was my mare that had had sand colic. Katrina's problem is that there
seems to be something in the clay under the sand that she likes, she scrapes
back the sand and licks the clay, picking up the sand. My vet says Katrina
doesn't have vitamin or mineral deficiency rather that it is stable vice. I
bought Katrina 21/2 years ago, she and her sister was in a small yard with
300 chickens. they had been there for 3 years. I know they hadn't been out in
that time because neither mare knew how to lead. I wonder if this vice had
developed then, seems likely. With me she gets lots of work, driving, riding,
shows, parades, fun drives with the local carriage club and just plain
hanging out. I am 52 years old and haven't ever had as much fun as I have
since Katrina came into my life.
I am getting off the subject. I give Katrina psyllium every month for 7 days.
I have had great difficulty finding one that she will eat. I have probably
tried every one made in the US. Currently I am using one from Valley Vet
Supply it is a powder and has no added flavoring. This seems to be working.
But we needed to get Katrina off the sand. The previous owners had trucked in
tons and tons of sand, we don't usually have it here in the mountains like
they do in Albuquerque. Our house in up for sale and the horses are on
pasture in Mora 150 miles from here. We will join the horses when the house
is sold and a well, septic system, electricity and a house are in place.
As I understand while ingesting dirt can be a problem, it is not as heavy as
sand which can sit in the bottom of the stomach, it flushes out of the system
easier. Brian you can best answer this. While your at it could you tell us
the correct way to give psyllium and it's action, also what is done for a
horse that won't take the psyllium. Thanks in advance.

Sue Clark-Sorger
Crown Oak Fjords
Sandia Park (soon to be Mora) NM