This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Janet,

Thanks for being a good enough sport to share your experience and the
things you learned from it.  You made some excellent points in your
"Running W" post (i.e. buying too many horses, wrong saddle, wrong
harness, etc.)  Can I sum them all up with one thought?

Don't buy anything you have little knowledge about before consulting an
impartial expert.

This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine since as a veterinarian I commonly
see people who have been sold a horse that is not really fitting for
them.  I'm not necessarily saying you got the wrong horses, but perhaps
if you had spoken with a trainer who warned you how long it was really
going to take and how expensive it might end up being, you would have
purchased fewer horses.  (It probably would have had to have been a
trainer that was not a candidate for training your horses, to get an
impartial opinion).  Also, perhaps that trainer would have suggested that
you, being inexperienced at driving, purchase experienced Fjords rather
than green.  Further, that trainer could have suggested exactly what you
should look for in a harness and a cart, and could have tried a number of
different saddles on your horses in an effort to find a kind that worked
best.  I hope everyone sees what I'm getting at.

As a breeder I think I can get away with saying this.  If you know
nothing or next to nothing about horses, you are really taking a risk
believing what the seller tells you about that animal.  As a veterinarian
again, the list of things people tell me the seller told them to explain
away a limp or a bump, etc, is endless.  For instance, he just got kicked
yesterday, he's just a little tenderfooted from walking on the rocks, his
eye runs like that all the time - I think it's allergies.  All these
sound very plausible, don't they.  How can someone who knows virtually
nothing about horses have any idea whether it's a minor problem that
really did just happen like the seller says, or whether it's a serious
problem that's been going on for a long time?

Well, there is a way.  Get an impartial, expert opinion.  Arrange a
veterinary prepurchase exam.  If you are buying a used car and you don't
know anything about cars, don't you have somebody look at it who knows
something about them?  If you are buying a harness and cart and know
nothing about them, doesn't it make sense to take somebody with you who
does?  Unless you know the seller very well, you have no idea if they're
being honest with you or they're just telling you what they think you
want to hear.  And in their defense, they may not even know what you
really need, if you don't know yourself.  So they just sell you a cart
that they think is a good cart.

And since I'm probably getting myself in hot water with anyone who's ever
sold a horse or a cart, etc, let me really do it right.  Don't ask your
friend and the tack store owner; Ask someone who really has experience in
the area.  I honestly believe that the veterinarian is the third person
who gets called when a person has a non-emergency problem with a horse.
First they ask their friend/neighbor if they've ever seen anything like
that.  Then they ask the feed or tack store owner.  Finally, several days
later, when the horse still isn't any better, they call the vet.  Now I'm
not knocking friends and feed and tack store owners, but I am knocking
their advice.  As sincere as it is, very often it is not the best advice.
 For instance, how many of you have heard that you need to let the air
get to a wound after it's been bandaged for a while so it can dry out and
heal?  That is absolutely, 100% wrong.  Almost without exception, wounds
heal better under a bandage.  A moist environment is better for healing,
and the bandage helps keep the wound clean, and decreases the amount of
proud flesh that forms.  Or how about using various ointments, sprays,
and powders on wounds?  In our area, the local favorites are Wonder Dust
and some kind of Purple Spray.  If I, as a horse owner in North Carolina,
called a friend and asked what I should put on a wound, most likely
that's what I would hear.  Usually the names sound good - especially
Wonder Dust.  Sounds like it could heal anything, doesn't it?  What the
wonder really is, though, is that wounds ever heal with that stuff on
them!  It eats away healing tissue rather than promoting healing.  And
the purple spray is harsh and makes a big mess!  Most wounds heal best if
they can be cleaned well and then bandaged either with a very mild
antiseptic ointment, or nothing at all on the wound.

Anyhow, hope this will remind us all to seek the advice of someone who
has experience before we buy something (and not from the person who's
trying to sell you the "whatever" - they have too much at stake to be
completely impartial and look out for YOUR best interests).

Brian Jacobsen, DVM
Norwegian Fjordhest Ranch
Salisbury, North Carolina