This message is from: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Michele,

Internal abscesses are not uncommon in horses.  I see a few every year in
foals and adult horses.  They can be caused by a foreign object that the
horse has eaten, but more commonly are caused by migrating internal
parasites.  Depending on the cause and location, most respond well to
antibiotic therapy.

I had a very unusual case a couple of years ago that came into the clinic
where I worked.  The horse came in because of a sudden swelling in the
throat.  An Xray showed a  small piece of wire in the middle of the
swelling.  The horse was taken to surgery, but then the wire couldn't be
found.  Another Xray showed that the wire was no longer there.  The horse
was treated for the abscess and sent home.

A few months later the horse returned with a fever and severe colic.
Exploratory surgery found nothing abnormal in the abdomen.  The horse was
treated again with antibiotics, recovered well, and was sent home.

Again, the horse returned in a few months.  This time with a draining
abscess in between two of the left ribs.  After opening up the abscess we
pulled out...... yep, you guessed it, the small piece of wire that was
originally in the throat.  In about a years time the wire had migrated
from the throat, out the digestive tract and thru the abdominal wall.
The horse recovered fully and has had no troubles since.

Amazing what these animals can endure.  I'm sure your weanling will be
fine with the proper care, Michele.  As you have found out though,
whenever a horse or foal is seen straining to urinate or defecate, be
sure to call the veterinarian right a way.  These can many times be
symptoms of serious problems.

Good luck,

Steve White
Waterloo, Nebraska