This message is from: GAIL RUSSELL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 Waving the stick
>around her head just makes her look a little askance, but not a flicker of
>concern or understanding that she needs to do anything about it.  Ditto for
>trying to get her to drop her head or lift her feet when you squeeze her
>hock.

I have one Fjord that Parelli type stuff works with pretty well.  He is
spooky and sensitive - like the hotter blooded breeds.  However my other two
Fjords have a more mule-like personality.  I can *literally* beat my five
month old colt with a push broom - and he *likes it.*  (I guess something
really itches somewhere - sometimes I brush him with a 20" wide push broom -
just for fun. :)  I believe the best approach with the "mule/Fjords is a
combination of Parelli/Lyons/Dorrance/Hunt training - but with positive
reinforcements of food - and "good efforts" marked by a "click."  That way
you don't have to beat them up to get a response - food rewards being *very
important* to them.

Mugging does not need to be a problem if you stop all outside treats and
train the mugging away. (Mugging will happen - so once you start you have to
be committed to spending "the time it takes" to train it away.) Today I held
an apple in one hand and a lead rope that I wanted touched by a horsey nose
in the other.  Both within reach of the horse.  When he reached for the
apple, I simply backed away (he was confined in a trailer, with head out the
window of the slant load).  When he reached to touch the lead rope, (and did
touch it), he got a click and an apple.  Pretty soon he didn't care at all
about reaching for the apple.

And yes, get the Parelli video.  Then train the tasks using the clicker and
Parelli's cues.  The clicker list can help you figure it out.  There are
several people doing the Parelli "levels" on the list.  One of the more
impressive success stories was a horse trained to walk thru smoke and
firecrackers for the Sheriff's Search and Rescue.  Apparently the Sheriff
was so impressed they asked how the horse had been trained.
Gail Russell
Forestville CA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Clicker List Web Site : http://clickryder.cjb.net