This message is from: Mike and Casey Rogillio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I don't think this took the first time, my apologies if it's a repeat.

"". . . any 1,000 pound animal is very capable of hurting any of us,
especially our kids.   It is important with any horse, Fjords included,
that children be taught all safety and handling rules applicable to
horses and large animals.   And that they be properly supervised, wear
helmets and be taught to respect the horse and what it is potentially
capable of.

To clarify, I also keep ours on a lunge line in an open area, or I lead
the horse.  My daughter (7) was able to ride our older mare in an
enclosed area under our supervision and they did just fine.

Overall, I still believe the Fjord temperment is a steadier one, and
they are much less likely to spook or react badly in any given
situation.  I have ridden a Fjord mare that spooks at EVERYTHING ... but
she is the exception . . .""

Sometimes lead lines still aren't safe.  Let me share this with you all,
as a warning I suppose.

I attended a small show yesterday where my (I thought) calm, steady
Fjord spooked at nothing as far as I could tell and took off with both
my children on his back.  They fell off, we spent 3 hours in ER making
sure my son (who landed on his face, yes both were helmeted) and
daughter had no other injuries.

What happened?  I'm still clueless and heartsick that my horse did this
as well as caused another young rider to be toppled off her horse.  All
I know is that we were in the leadline class and doing well, standing
calmly,  as the top 4 winners began filing out.  Suddenly Tyr took off
like he was buck-shot, ripping the lead thru my hands, burning them.
There were 11 horses in the class, so there was plenty of company in the
arena, as well as plenty of horses and people to tromple thru.

I would NEVER have taken him in that class if I'd had an idea this would
happen.  Tyr has been used as a lead-line pony for 2 years and never
done a thing like this.  He was used as a birthday party pony by his
trainer with no problem.  The only thing I can think of was that this
was too new to him.  He'd done just fine in the halter class, was calm,
not antsy, nothing.  Maybe he got stung?  Maybe the stress was too much
for him?  Maybe another horse "threatened" him from behind?  I don't
know.

The moral of this story I guess is that I wouldn't just automatically
trust a Fjord to not spook & squirt just because they are normally so
calm and unflappable.  They have a lot of power and can generate an
unbelievable amount of energy quickly.

Sadder and wiser Casey