This message is from: "Karen McCarthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ages ago (it seems!),I was looking for a western saddle to fit the fjords, and I thought I'd go nuts, as saddles "off the rack" looked nice, but weren't nice to the horses backs.

I finally ended up having one made (luckily one of our landscaping clients is a great saddlemaker - can you say trade?)and have been happy ever since.

I brought down 2 fjords to his shop for a tree fitting: a 3 yo gelding and a 12 yo stallion. 20+ trees and 2 hours later , we made a choice, but w/ some alterations, namely,the bars were opened slightly in width, and then shortened in overall length, and we "rocked" the front and back ends of the bars to avoid the shoulders and digging into the loin area.Also, the bars are more "dipped" in the centre, so as to fit thru their backs, not "bridge" them.

11 years later this saddle is still going strong, and fits an unbelievable # of horses. I'm kinda thinking of replacing it, but am a little apprehensive about returning to the original maker, as he now charges $2,400 as his base price, and he's no longer a client of mine. So, now I have to find a maker willing to work w/ me and the demands of getting the tree right, and still be within reason pricewise - perhaps around $1,800 ?

Anyone have any suggestions for the NV/OR/CA area?

Thanks much,
    Karen