This message is from: GAIL RUSSELL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>However, my current suspicion about my Fjords' ringbone is sort of
>related to hoof angles.  One of the sketches in Rooney's book on
>lameness shows a drafty hoof mis-trimmed with one side longer than the
>other, and how this can strain the pastern ligaments---at roughly the
>sites that my Fjords show bony spurs!

Marsha,

I'm fretting about Gunthar right now.  He has been lame for six weeks.  We
think it is a bruise (showed two pink spots near the white line when we took
the shoes off BUT - he had also grown out lopsided this last time - causing
the bad leg (right front) to toe out a bit more than it does naturally.
FArrier tried to correct it - but he was still quite lame - now it is almost
gone.  So... I think/hope it is the bruise - probably caused from being in a
wet pasture (Whodini climbs in the 8 foot stock tank and wets down the
surrounding area regularly!).  Anyway - does the picture show the hairline
running NOT parallel to the ground?  This is how I understood you tell when
a foot is not level side to side.

Farrier is coming Friday to put pads on so we can see if that helps - with
the assumption that, if the pad cures it, it must be the bruising that is
causing the lameness.

Re your other discussion on the slopes - this must mean a round pen with a
track worn around the edge could easily cause the same problem?
Gail Russell
Forestville CA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]